Thursday, May 9, 2013

Tribute to an amazing mother

My mother Virginia Taylor
posing with her wedding photo.
Salvation Army Tulsa Area Commander Major Jim Taylor honors his mom for Mothers Day

My mother is 92 years old. For as long as I can remember she has selflessly cared for me and my four siblings. I honestly can not remember a time when she was more concerned about her personal well-being than for that of her children. This is especially significant to me since our father died when I was just nine years old, leaving my mother to raise five children on her own.

Proverbs 6:20 says, "do not forsake your mother's teaching." Proverbs 22:6 tells parents, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."
The five Taylor kids surround my mom.
From birth I was trained to honor God, obey my parents, and respect others. It would be a violation of all three of these statutes if I told you I have all of my life. In fact, after my father died, and my mother had to work full time, I often times did what I pleased. I played outside in my school clothes.

I didn't come straight home from school and do my homework. I fed the dog from the table. I didn't keep my room clean. As I aged, I began skipping school, drinking Boone's Farm Strawberry wine and the cheapest beer we could find.

My mother and I enjoy a good laugh
I would sneak out of the house at night for adventure and mischief. I lied to this amazing woman to cover my tracks (only to find out later that those tracks were glaringly evident to her). Now, as a parent, I understand the heartache I gave her - and she had no one to help shoulder the burden. Or did she? 
1 Peter 5:7 says that we can "cast all our cares on Him (Jesus), for He cares for you".

A birthday dance
In recent conversations with my mother I have learned that she "cast" me on the Lord. Realizing her limited influence she turned to the One who is limitless. Although I thought life was grand doing as I wanted, she knew I was headed for a train wreck. Fortunately for me, her prayers prevented a crash that would ruin my life. However, my train did wreck - right into the love of God, and I have never been the same. 
My eyes well up with tears of thankfulness as I ponder my mother's faithful and consistent trust in God. In a large way, it is why I am who I am today.

Mothers are a gift from God. Of course, it is true that none of us would be here without a mother. But think on this: where would I be without my mother?

Now tell the mothers in your life how special they are.

Happy Mother's Day.
Major Jim Taylor


My mother went skydiving on her 90th birthday.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your mother! It makes me miss my own mother, who went home to heaven years ago, even more. You are blessed, Major Jim, to have such a fine lady in your life.

    ReplyDelete