Thursday, May 23, 2013

Grateful donors give to help others

Deborah Adams and her husband James
When Deborah Adams heard that The Salvation Army Tulsa Area Command was collecting supplies to help with long-term recovery from the storms and tornado she had a personal reason to buy and bring bags of them to The Salvation Army. Her mom, 74-year-old Elaine Furr, lost most of her home and everything in it in the Moore tornado.

I was amazed that Deborah could tell me this without emotion, but her mom also lived through the tornado that hit Moore in 1999. “Plaza Towers Elementary is right behind her house. She used to work there,” Deborah said. For now, her mother is staying with her aunt.

Elaine escaped the tornado by going to a neighbor’s storm cellar. “She knew to do that because of the 1999 tornado,” Deborah said.

Although Elaine’s home is gone, her garage and a workshop next to it are still standing. Trees in the yard were uprooted and crashed into her house. I asked Deborah if her mom would rebuild. “I don’t know but I kind of doubt it,” she said. “She’s had enough.”

Although I  covered several tornados when I was a reporter, I cannot even begin to imagine what it’s really like. I’m just thankful Deborah’s mom made it and that so many people are helping. We'll be collecting supplies from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. tomorrow too, so please stop by.

-Sallie

No comments:

Post a Comment